Saturday, July 10, 2010

Kuwaiting to Exhale

WHEEEW!!!!! It's gettin HOT over here peeps... I have to refrain myself from commenting on every fb post I see complaining about the weather in the states... It's over 120 degrees here during the day and then cools down to a miserable 110 in the evenings. Peter and I were walking to our car after eating out for dinner and it felt like we were walking next to a campfire. :-/ I spend most of my time in our freezing apartment (Peter likes to see his breath when he wakes up, forcing me to wear sweats in the middle of the summer) but when I venture outdoors the heat and the humidity is just shocking!

Not only is it hot, but it freakin STINKS! I noticed it when we first got here - waking up in the morning to a slight stench that I mentally blamed Peter for... but after stepping outside I realized it was the air! Gag... There's a major sewage prob here and the low tides and high temps in the summer make for a pooptastic outdoor experience.

I try to lay out 2 times a week just to get some sun on my cheeks and reduce the skin tone margin between me and muh husband. But lately, I can't stand more than about an hour, and that's with a dunk in the pool every 15 mins or so. The place we live in only rents to Westerners, so I'm free to wear my 2-piece and pretty much carry on like I would at home... but the other residents have to think I'm crazy... I'm the only one out by the pool (which is disappointing b/c I was hoping to make some poolside friends). The heat, humidity, stink, and desert wind keep most of my neighbies indoors - but NOOOOOO, not me. I lay out by our massive pool all alone, chugging water, reading whilst wiping sweat out of my eyes and occasionally looking up into other people's apartments... I'm such a creeper...

I can only imagine what I look like... the wind whipping my pony tail against my face and swirling the pieces that refused to be restrained into a gravity defying hairdo, taking small breaths through my mouth to avoid the smell of Kuwait's dirty diaper, frequently turning so the wading pool that is my belly button may empty itself - the sacrifices a sun goddess must make to achieve a golden tan... *SIGH*

I tried to wear my big floppy hat out once to channel my inner SATC but that was a complete disaster... I'm sure that was an entertaining afternoon for my shut-in neighbors who watched the sweaty American chase her hat all around the pool and then settle for holding it on her head while attempting to look relaxed as the wind clapped the brim against her face over and over and OVER.

I know the fact that I actually WANT a tan is confusing to the women over here - who go to extremes to cover themselves and even use products to whiten their skin. But I like to think we're both learning from each other, ie: If you can't tone it, tan it??? I do my best to get in a daily workout - but all bets are off on the weekends. PLUS, I'm super hearting my oven and all I wanna make is cookies and brownies. Peter's never home when I get to bakin so that leaves me to lick the mixing bowl all myself... nothing a little tan won't hide... riiiiight?

Soooo, obviously I'm still in Kuwait and not in Htown. There have been some shake ups at Halliburton and they've postponed our trip. Shocker. I always get my hopes up just to be disappointed by 'the man'... whatevs, so I wasn't home for the 4th - sounds like there's been a cloud hovering over my hometown this month anyway so I guess I'm not missing much. Looking on the bright side, I'll be missing Ramadan by coming home in August rather than in July. During Ramadan almost EVERYTHING shuts down during the day and doesn't open up until the evening when Muslims break their fast. Eating, smoking and drinking (even agua) is illegal during daylight hours of Ramadan and if you're caught doing any of these things in public you can get thrown in the slammer for the remainder of Ramadan. <---that includes expats... sheesh...

No word yet on the actual date that I'll be returning, but Peter has promised me that even if his trip is postponed due to work that he'll send me home... God, I love my boss! ;-)



title credits to Mr. Patrick Lockerd ... very appropriate!

6 comments:

  1. Another great post -- we miss you! And I'm all about the motto "tan fat is sexier than white fat"
    Enjoy my friend - things are not the same without you!!

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. hysterical. i just read this whole blog outloud to colin and we were both dying. i could see you saying all of this. love to you and peter. hang in there my dear. easy for me to say? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LYDIA-it's Steph J!!!! I am SO glad you have a blog!!! Krissy told me about it! My frend Kristen started me a blog too so now I have another friend (you!) to read about! You are too funny...I miss you!! Hope life is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this blog! I would so be at the pool with you sister! I found you through Stephanie, one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading precious ladies!! God must read my blog too b/c the day after this posted, I met a DOLL BABY out by the pool! Totally worth the sunburn! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear adventure traveler!!
    Wel come to Mountain Mart Treks & Expedition (P) Ltd. for best trekking & Tour operator into the mysterious culture tours & adventures trip including Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan & India.
    Please if you are looking a adventure trip in Nepal! Kindly visit our official website http://www.mountainmarttreks.com for reliable information whatever you need. Or email me at gpminathapa@gmail.com
    Thank you so much for your desire to travel in Nepal with professional trekking and tour operator in Nepal!!
    trekking in Nepal
    Nepal trekking and tour
    mustang trek
    Evererest Trek
    langtang valley trek
    Annapurna base camp trek
    Makalu base camp trek
    mustang trek
    Annapurna sanctuary trek
    Annapurna circuit trek
    Gokyo trek
    Everest view trek
    peak climbing in Nepal

    ReplyDelete