Wednesday, April 14, 2010

if ur happy and u know it, CLAP UR HANDS!!!

Ummmm, so I finally went to layout by the pool (which I now do daily) and meet the two women who I had seen enjoying themselves for the past few days. I don’t know why I didn’t come out before because they are DOLLS! They’re both from London and had the most adorable accent! Emma and Judy! Judy is Emma’s mother and they were here visiting her husband who is working out here for the time being. YAY! I had pool buddies! I was so excited to visit with them! They invited me out the next day and I had the best time! Shopping, lunching and sunning by the pool… only thing missing was Bubba Keg!! Sadly, my new friends are leaving today… L

Looks like I’ll be holding the pool scene down solo… I’m going to miss them! Peter even said I started talking with an accent… really? I don’t know why I do that – but I just love their accent! It makes everything sound so much more interesting!! I’m sure I sound like a ding dong when I say ‘what are y’all doing later?’ but everything that comes out of their mouths just sounds like poetry! And I’m totally adding the word “blatantly” to my vocab! Thanks Emma! ;-) Come back soon! I promise to have my wine biz booming by then! J

I’m starting to think I can be really happy here… I mean, of course I can be happy living with my precious Peter Pie, but I spend the majority of my time alone for the time being and the place we’re staying in doesn’t exactly feel like home. For starters, we only have one plate… I eat most of my meals out of a bowl – which isn’t a big deal, but come on! There’s no dishwasher here, wait, yes there is – her name is Lydia, and she’s not very thorough!!!! STILL haven’t learned how to work the oven or the dryer… So we pretty much grill every night, which is awesome! We both have to use these ginormous knives from the knife block in the kitchen b/c the only other knives we have are butter knives?? We’ve started looking for places and I think we’ve found one that I really like (pssst, it’s the only one with a dishwasher we’ve seen).

And guess what? I’m Peter’s golden ticket, yesh I yam!!!! Most places will only rent to Westerners – which Peter is, but his beautiful tan leads them to believe otherwise… Every single apartment has maids’ quarters in it and their own bathroom (I refer to this area as Joseph’s room), and most families have a live-in maid or one that visits twice a week. Since I’m not working, I’m pretty sure I can handle our little household chores, but I’ve been enjoying the maid service that Halliburton treats us to daily. They come every day except Friday; they make the beds, straighten the house and vacuum and mop all the floors. Since it’s REALLLLY dusty here you have to dust often and they give everything a once over to keep it clean. All the bathrooms and kitchens have drains in the floor, weeeeird! All of the floors that I’ve seen are tile or marble. Most places have a pool and gym, but people, these places are NOTHING like back home. The layouts are odd and most of the kitchens are UBER tiny and have zilch storage space. Bathtub??? What’s that? Hmmmm… so we’re still looking. Every bathroom has a bidet, even public bathrooms have these, I’m always scared to use them b/c I’d be the girl who sprays water all over her pants and walks out with a soggy bottom… :-/

The place I love is not near any shopping, but it’s very close to a STARBUCKS (shocker, they’re EVERYWHERE!) and a few fast food joints. I also spotted a spa and a pilates studio – coincidence? Or is this FAAAAATE?! J

The malls here are RIDIC!! They’re WAAAAAY better than the Galleria and have more than you can imagine. They have everything we have back home plus a ton of places I’ve never heard of… only prob is that since most stores have imported goods they’re much more pricey (POOOOP!). I find it odd that all the stores sell skimpy little sundresses and tanks and generally decorate the mannequins like we would back in the states. WHO WEARS THIS STUFF??? Everyone I see is covered from head to toe and I for one have never worn more clothes in such a hot temp! I’m not expected to wear a veil or anything, but if you don’t want to be stared at then your shoulders, chest and knees ought to be covered. Even then, people stare… probably wondering where I came from and why I’m here… and people don’t wear bathing suits here! They get in the water in their clothes. If you have a membership to one of the hotel’s resorts you are permitted to wear a bathing suit, but even then it should be a onesie… Currently, I’m rocking my two-piece under a big cover up until I can find something suitable…

The food here is DELISH and there are tons of options. LOTS of Indian places and of course Middle Eastern food, but you’d be surprised with the amount of American restaurants available! They just opened a PF Chang’s too… YUMMM! Speaking of food, I’ve been doing A LOT of eating. It helps the time pass. Peter and I started doing a P90/Insanity combo workout at home to battle the bulge and it’s KILLLLLING me! I’m always so impressed that he finishes the workout… I’ve gotten really lazy, what with being so busy during the day and all…

I’m getting really excited to meet more people and get out more! There’s an American Women’s League that I’m going to look into and I know once we move in to a place I’ll meet some neighbors. One of Peter’s good friends from work returns from vacay tomorrow with his wife and they’re having us for BBQ and COCKTAILS!!!! YESSSSSSSSSS! I sat up straight in bed this morning when I realized it’s only a day away!!! Soooo, I’ll be singing IF UR HAPPY AND U KNOW IT ALLLLLL DAAAAAY LOOOOOONG!


No comments:

Post a Comment