Thursday, April 15, 2010

can i borrow some ZZZZs??

Well, this is my 1st night without Tylenol PM… I’ve been sleeping in this week and then napping sometimes during the day so I’m never ready to go to bed when Peter is. Soooo I normally just pop a few of those magic little beans to make me drowsy. I decided tonight that I was going to wean myself off of them and now I’m wide awake, boo!

Peter and I took one of his coworkers out to dinner tonight in Salmiyah and we ate at this AMAZING Arabic restaurant in Marina Mall. We had some appys and then ordered a ton of food! It was so delish and I was so happy to be out of the apartment and OUT!!! When I go out I normally wear jeans with a baby-t and a wrap around my neck. OR, my newest combo, a long dress with a cardigan… and if I’m going somewhere with lots of people, I’ll tote the wrap to cover my chest by twisting it around my neck. I mean, it’s not like I have cleavage dumping out all over the place – not sure what the big deal is about covering up the chest, but I’m sweating my tooter off so I hope they’re happy!!!

Back to dinner, we were sitting outside by the water enjoying our meal and then it started sprinkling. No big deal, it hardly ever rains here and when it does it passes quickly. There wasn’t much left on my plate but the sprinkles forced me to devour everything that was left quickly. It really started dumping just as soon as I finished my food and we moved under a covered portion with some couches. Peter and Mark talked shop most of the time, but I didn’t care – I was just enjoying the food, the music and watching everyone scurry around in the rain. The men hold hands here, which I find very odd and affection between men and women in public is frowned upon. No kissing in public… SO, let’s review – no alcohol, no revealing clothing, no public displays of affection (unless ur a guy and u want to hold ur bfs hand) – yet still, I love it here! I think I’m just learning how to appreciate different things. Back home I was so busy all the time – doing what?? Work, running around crossing things off my ‘to do’ list, socializing, trying to keep up… and I miss it, but I have time here to dooooo, welllll, I don’t know what I’m going to do yet. But I’ve definitely reverted back to childhood… I watch cartoons and eat my cereal in the mornings, I think about what I want to be when I grow up, I splash in the pool and I HATE bath time. Not b/c I like being dirty – trust me, if I get sweaty I’m fighting Peter for the shower 1st, but we haven’t received our shipment containing the GINORMOUS converters that I’ll need to use EVERY appliance (such as my hairdryer) over here. Instead of purchasing all new appliances we opted for buying 5 converters (each weigh 38 lbs and are a complete eyesore!) but I can’t wait til those suckers get here so I can blow my hair out proper… Instead I have to walk around the house with a towel on my head and then let it air dry, which is super sexy in this sandy hot box. EWW! So, bath time sucks… The apartment that we’re staying in DOES have a tub, but I’m pretty sure if I tried to take a bath in it that Peter would have to lube the tub to get me out – it’s EXTREMELY narrow, if you can imagine. Some of the other showers I’ve seen are just over a drain in the floor with a piece of glass in front of the toilet so you’re partially enclosed. Some have no glass partition at all – sooo, I guess if you wanted to take a seat on the toilet while showering, one would have the option. Suppose that could speed things up in the morning… We’re looking for a place with a tub, but I’d rather have a dishwasher to be honest!

I laugh at myself a whole lot more too – I’ll catch glimpses of myself in a mirror during the day and I’m like REALLY?!?! Make an effort woman! But it’s hard to get up and get ‘ready’ when I know I’m not going to see anyone or leave the apartment. Today I thought, ‘WOW, my life would be SOOO much more interesting if there were music playing behind everything I do.’ Example uno: I was making a sandwich in the kitchen this afternoon in my bowl (the plate was dirty) with my big knife and started eating it right there at the counter. Just as I had my mouth full a maintenance guy knocked on the front door and opened it at the same time. He knows I don’t speak any Arabic and I know he doesn’t speak any English. So there we were - me in my pajamas, holding a big knife, eating over a bowl with my mouthful and he, well, he was BLATANTLY in the wrong apartment. So he mumbled something in Arabic and then shut the door. I paused, swallowed my food, and then turned back to my connwich. I thought nothing of it at all, but then wished there had been some type of circus themed music playing in the background, yes, that would have been appropriate. Example dos: The driving here is MAD! I feel like there should be some kind of ‘fast and furious’ jam playing while I’m riding in the back of a cab – b/c I’m not just living, I’m surviving! I still don’t see myself driving here – but I won’t say ‘never’. I’ve just always considered myself a courteous driver, I let peeps over when they have their blinkers on and always wave people on in a lane that’s merging… but there’s none of that here. These drivers would eat me alive… you have to see it to believe it!

I’m SO ready for the weekend to be here and Peter to be home for a few days. We’re going to get out looking for places again, so wish us luck! ;-) ALSO… DRUMROLL… we’re going to a party Thurs night!!!!!!! That’s reason alone to lose sleep over! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! J

No comments:

Post a Comment