Thursday, September 9, 2010

Month 1 in Houston


Wow… I’ve been in Houston for a month and it’s been absolutely BONKERS! I’ve seen the fam, played with friends, missed my adorable husband to the nth degree, rubbed baby bumps, cleaned up baby dumps, shopped my tooter off, drove about 4 cars that don’t belong to me, made multiple trips to the post office (duh, gotsta ship that LOOT!), drank more wine and liquor than one should on a healthy diet, skipped workouts, had my hair did (WAAAY overdue!), baby showered, happy houred, attended 2 weddings in the SAME day, danced at every possible occasion, had lazy days with my stay-at-homers, soaked up the Texas sun out by the pool, caught up on all my fav shows, ate pork for about 2 straight weeks, celebrated birthdays, toasted good friends, had my toes did, made cake balls AND cake pops (don’t ask), signed up for a power pump class that ended up being ‘Baila for the family’ and didn’t leave, attended numerous cooking classes, manned the family biz, played in the rain, made several trips to the airport and only got lost once, taken a road trip to Galveston with a dear friend and never left the hotel room (catching up can take FOREVS!), slept in beds that aren’t mine and occasionally couches, felt like a nomad…

I really can’t believe I’ll be in Houston until Oct 17th. This was definitely NOT planned, albeit a HUGE blessing.  The whole reason I was even supposed to make this trip was to accompany muh hubs, then when his trip fell through he sent me anyway…. Hmmmm??  The truth is, I would more than likely have been put in jail for snagging a sip of water while laying out by the pool or perhaps eating almonds out of my pocket whilst perusing the mall. Ramadan is no joke. 

How ‘bout this?? Peterpop gets a phone call just 2 days after I leave notifying him of a training IN HOUSTON they want to send him to…. Perf… I was supposed to be returning to Kuwait Sept 4th and then back to the states for Peter’s training Sept 23rd???? While I do enjoy airline food and catching up on movies – that trip is just WAAY too long to make twice in one month. Sooooooo, here I am, patiently waiting for my man to join me so we can return together (He’s such a good sport). 

I can’t help but miss my life in Kuwait tho… Petercakes, routine, my bed, friends that will prolly have forgotten about me by the time I return (Oh God, please don’t!).  I’ve just learned that one of my close friends in Kuwait will be returning to the states before December and I’m praying this is just a nasty joke she’s trying to pull… This woman saved me…  I found her through her blog.  After reading for about 3 hours I already had a baby crush on her… I had to make contact! I had been to the American Women’s League and British Ladies Society and hadn’t had any real bites.  I sent her an email, which I’m sure she read as a very real cry for help… I described my experience in Kuwait thus far and also mentioned that I didn’t have a car, or a life, really….

We met for dinner. Peterpie dropped me off. It’s like I’m in junior high again…. At least now I have a cell phone so I can text for a pickup… We dined and chatted for 3 hours, or was it 4???  She was so interesting and funny and to this day, I know God virtually placed her on the Internet for me to stumble across.  A fellow American, already settled in Kuwait but just as jaded as a newby, she threw me arm floaties just before I thought I was going to go under.  She told me to suck it up, she didn’t feel sorry for me… and that’s when I really started to embrace my life in Kuwait.  She even gave me the opportunity to do for someone else what she had done for me, and that little nugget has turned into a beautiful friendship as well. 

I feel like today is Thanksgiving or something. Like I should list out all the things that I’m truly grateful for and then ponder on them all day… It’s weird how gratefulness can just pour over you sometimes. When I first got back to Htown, my mother-in-law let me use her car (which was my car before I left – the precious woman bought it off of me!)… soooo, I’m driving (which I hadn’t done in 5 months) and I’m jamming to music, really belting it out and flexing my lungs, the sunroof is open and I have shopping bags in the back… Another car passes me on the freeway with this awesome dog in the backseat, he’s got his head out the window and his tongue is free flying out of his mouth and he’s got this big toothy smile on his face.  He looked me right in my eyeball, and I knew we were both on cloud nine. I turned down the music and I just reflected on my life at that very moment and totally teared up. I thanked God for everything I have been blessed with and then I called my precious husband to tell him how much I love and miss him.  A similar experience happened when we were in Bahrain… I started crying in the sushi line at this unbelievable brunch we ate at… I’m such a sap! The guy in front of me was prolly like ‘take it easy sister, I’m sure there will be some left by the time u get up there…’  But I was having a moment… I’m sure he wouldn’t have understood…

But it feels so good to get carried away sometimes… so I’m counting down the days until my boo gets here and I’m going to make every day count!  I might even stick my head out the backseat window and let my tongue slap the side of my face! it’s been awhile…




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for finally updating your blog!!! I'm so glad you're home and I got the chance to see you!! Before you leave, me, you, Krissy and Julie need to have dinner and drinks..well...minus the drinks for Krissy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing u was SUCH a treat! Yesss, dinner date please! Krissy can be the DD... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Langtang Trek | The natural beauty Of Himalayan Trek

    Langtang Trek is one of the beautiful trekking regions in Nepal with a beautiful geographical diversity and cultures. The trek starts from Syabrubensi with astounding nature and beautiful places like Ghoda Tabela and Kyanjiin Gumba so on. The beautiful nature and the mountain is the major attraction that attracts people in Langtang Trek
    Chat Conversation End

    ReplyDelete